Thursday, May 5, 2011

Microsoft introduces Milo, Peter Molyneux

Peter Molyneux demos Milo, the virtual boy | Video on TED.com

When Peter Molyneux describes a game developed by Microsoft that can think for itself,regonize you, and learn I was like "No Way Man!" I didnt think such a thing was possible, and for such a simple thing like the kinect game system. With this new incorparation into the world, the idea would spark a new rush for more highly advanced artificial thinking.

Peter Molyneux decribes how he wanted to create a solution to the one problem of storytelling. He wanted to make a character which felt alive and could build a relationship. With the technology of Microsoft and attempts of AI at Lionhead, they created the virtual boy, named Milo.

When I first saw the demonstration of this, I was a little creeped out. A thing that wasnt even alive, yet acted alive? It didnt help either that he looked right at you in a creeping manner, and that he only talked to you. A cool part about Milo though is that you can help mold his personality and how he turns out to be. You can edge him on with your voice like you would another person. One example Peter shows is when Milo is about to crush a snail, and you can either tell him to do it or tell him not to. The crushing of a snail is developmental to how Milo turns out because you can mold him to be sensitive or to be a bully. Peter says that no two Milo's will be alike, and I find that intriguing yet weird at the same time. I think the idea of artificial intelligence is creepy, yet cool how technolgy can make things happen.

My take on this is that it is really cool, but I dont like the aspect of Milo looking or "being" human. I think that is because of all the movies I watched of how the robot who thinks he is human freaks everyone out.

Peter Molyneux has a very good idea, but I dont think his presentation was all that fine as he had a more advertising approach then a belief approach. That took away from the feeling of the TED and left it unappealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment