Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sir Ken Robinson Response

Do schools destroy creativity? Sir Ken Robinson thinks so. I have to say that I agree with that too. The public education system is grading us on what we dont know then what we know, therefore destroying the creativity we already had. I can relate to that, because I would memorize most of the characters in Chinese that were taught, but my teacher would spring new characters on us and expect us to know it, then reprimanding us if we didnt. It does not have anything to do with destroying creativity, but emphasizes the grading system of public education. Sir Ken Robinson describes how at an early age we were not scared to be wrong and that we came up with our own original idea. As we got older the school's would tell us no, you have to say this, you have to recite that. We got less creative in the process. Still creative though, but less creative. I think the effectiveness of his TED talk was how he used humor and examples so that we could connect to his piece. His style was at a light hearted way that made the listener listen intently but not get bored by a lecture style piece. I thouroughly enjoyed it and was informed at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment